Located at Hattiesburg City Hall, the office is open Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
200 Forrest Street
Post Office Box 1898
Hattiesburg, MS 39403-1898
Community Development Division Staff
Petra Wingo, Division Manager
Dequandra Johnson, Housing Coordinator
Kendrick Laster, Housing Inspector
Demetria Farve, LeadSAFE Hattiesburg Program Manager
Tonya Jordan, Neighborhood Coordinator
Sharon Newsom, Office Manager
For a current list of all public notices, please visit https://www.hattiesburgms.com/public-notices/.
Links below provide more information on certain program areas.
The Community Development Division administers the annual grant programs funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as well as other grant opportunities that may complement such efforts. Primarily, this division manages projects funded through HUD’s Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME Investment Partnership Grant (HOME). Both of these programs are intended to benefit low- to moderate-income (LMI) individuals and households. Administration of the programs is guided by the City’s 5-year Consolidated Plan and each year’s Action Plan.
The LeadSAFE Hattiesburg program is a lead hazard reduction program for income-eligible residents who live within the city limits of Hattiesburg. The program aims to protect children and families from lead-based paint (LBP) hazards by using LBP hazard safety training, as well as interim controls and abatement. To learn more about the program offerings, visit the LeadSAFE Hattiesburg page.
The HOME Program focuses on Affordable Housing. The City offers Down Payment Assistance awards to income-eligible first-time home buyers; oversees a rehabilitation program for homeowner-occupied dwellings; and partners with non-profit organizations for the purpose of constructing or rehabilitating houses to be sold or rented as affordable units.
The CDBG Program allows for activities that benefit LMI individuals, LMI households, areas of the community that are majority LMI, or serve to create jobs available to LMI persons. CDBG Programs undertaken by the City include Homeowner-occupied rehabilitation and Emergency Repairs, Downtown Facade Improvement, various Public Services through non-profits, Microenterprise Assistance, Public Facility Improvement, and Infrastructure Improvement.
Programs with ongoing application periods:
- HOME Downpayment Assistant for First Time Homebuyers
- CDBG Facade Improvement Assistance
- CDBG Emergency Housing Repair (homeowner-occupied)
Programs with limited application periods:
- CDBG & HOME Substantial Housing Rehabilitation (homeowner-occupied)
- CDBG Public Service Awards for Non-Profits
- CDBG Microenterprise Assistance
Individuals interested in programs with time-limited application periods are encouraged to call the Community Development Division at (601) 554-1006 for more information. Notices of Funding Availability or Requests for applications/proposals will be advertised in the Pine Belt News when funding is available. Whether or not funding is available will depend on the amount of funding made available in the City’s annual grant awards and what priority level is assigned to these program areas in comparison with others.
Emergency Roof Repair Initiative
The Community Development Division will be accepting 50 pre-applications on a first-come, first-served basis for the Emergency Roof Repair Initiative. Pre-applications are available at the Community Development Office (located at 200 Forrest Street). Pre-applications will only be accepted on Thursday, December 15, 2022, beginning at 9:00 a.m. For questions, please contact Community Development at 601-554-1006.
Prospective applicants must answer the following questions and meet HUD standards prior to application and housing feasibility inspection.
- Are you the sole owner of the property?
- Are all homeowners listed on the deed currently living in the household?
- Have you lived at this address for more than 1 year?
- Can you provide a 12-month utility bill/statement for services in your name?
- Do you live within the City limits of Hattiesburg, Forrest County?
- Do you have current Homeowners Insurance on the property? *Mandatory homeowners insurance requirements have been waived for homeowners as of March 2022. However, if you reside in a Flood Zone, flood insurance is required.
- Are your property taxes paid for the previous year or exempt?
- Can you provide income verification for everyone in the household?
- What is the yearly household income?
- Do you have an immediate family member employed with the City of Hattiesburg’s Urban Development Department?
- How many people live in your household? *This program is income based and will require proof of income
- Do you have a Mortgage on your home? If yes, how much?