Located on the 2nd Floor of City Hall, this office is open Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

City Clerk: Kermas Eaton


200 Forrest Street
Post Office Box 1898
Hattiesburg, MS 39403-1898




The City Clerk/Tax Division is responsible for records, voter registration, privilege tax licensing, garage sale permits and ordinances. 


In August 2022, the Hattiesburg City Council voted unanimously to establish Ordinance No. 3316 to allow for golf carts and low-speed vehicles on city streets, as set forth by state statute. Below are key details:

  • Owners and operators must register their golf cart or low-speed vehicle with the City Clerk’s Office at 200 Forrest Street (2nd Floor).
  • Drivers operating a golf cart or low-speed vehicle must have a valid driver’s license and proof of financial responsibility with them at all times, as required by state law.
  • Vehicles must meet safety equipment requirements under 49 CFR Section 571.500 (headlamps, front and rear turn signal lamps, tail lamps, stop lamps, reflect reflectors, exterior mirror mounted on driver’s or passenger’s side, parking brake, VIN number or Serial Number, Type 1 or Type 2 seatbelts, proper windshield and an alert sound).
  • Operation is limited to the outside lane of multi-lane streets and roads, where applicable.
  • The Hattiesburg Police Department will enforce all traffic and road-based regulations listed in the ordinance, in addition to all traffic and road-based laws of the State of Mississippi and the City of Hattiesburg. Citations will be written for the unauthorized operation of a golf cart or low-speed vehicle.
  • Underage driving is not permitted and will be subject to a citation from the Hattiesburg Police Department for unlicensed driving. This is considered a misdemeanor, and a first offense could lead to a fine of up to $445.
  • After registration, the decal should be placed on the left rear fender of the golf cart or low-speed vehicle.


You may register to vote at City Hall or the Circuit Clerk’s office for elections at the municipal, county, state and federal level. All voter registration information is obtained from the Circuit Clerk’s Office, which is available from the statewide voter registration system.

To register, a form can be filled out and/or downloaded via the link below:


We also have mail-in forms which may be obtained by calling 601-545-4550 or by contacting the designated circuit clerk’s offices below:

Forrest County Circuit Clerk’s Office

Lamar County Circuit’s Office


All business are required to procure a license to engage in business in the city. The basic information needed to obtain a license is the number of employees and/or the wholesale value of the inventory. Additional information may be needed for specific businesses such as pawn shops, contractors, etc.

To submit an application for your privilege tax license, please fill out the form below and return it to the 2nd Floor of City Hall. 


Garage sale permits may be obtained after completing a brief application. The applicant must be the legal owner or occupant of the property where the sale will be held. Two sales per calendar year are allowed without a fee. Each permit, when issued, shall authorize a sale to not exceed two consecutive days and must occur only on the dates specified on the permit.

No sales are allowed on Sunday or before 8 a.m.


City property taxes are collected by the county tax collector’s office in the county in which the property is located.

If you live in Forrest County:

Questions regarding the payment of city taxes in Forrest County should be addressed to the Forrest County Tax Collector’s Office 601-582-8228 and questions regarding the value of the property or homestead exemption in Forrest County should be addressed to the Forrest County Tax Assessor’s Office 601-545-6130.

If you live in Lamar County:

Questions regarding the payment of city taxes and the value of the property or homestead exemption in Lamar County should be addressed to the Lamar County Tax Assessor/Collector’s Office 601-544-4410 or 601-794-1020.