City of Hattiesburg Works to Protect Community from Mosquito-Transmitted Diseases
The City of Hattiesburg Public Works Department is partnering with the Mississippi Health Department to prevent the spread of mosquito-transmitted diseases such as West Nile, Chikungunya and Zika virus. The Public Works Department will begin spraying pesticide throughout the community on April 4th – November 4th. To limit exposure to citizens, spraying will occur Monday-Friday between 3 a.m. and 7 a.m., and 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. The Department will alternate between oil and water based solutions so that mosquitoes will not develop an immunity to the pesticide. To help keep your family safe, the Health Department suggests the following:
- Avoid outdoor activities during peak mosquito biting times-mornings and evenings
- Wear light-colored, long pants and long sleeve shirts when outside.
- Use a DEET-based mosquito repellant.
- Use mosquito netting when camping outdoors.
- Make sure screens on windows and doors are in good repair with no rips or tears.
- Remove items that can hold water such as broken washing machines, and trash cans.
- Remove debris from drains, ditches and culverts so water can drain properly.
- Fill tree holes with mortar or sand.
- Drill holes in the bottom of tire swings.
- Empty or change water in pet dishes, bird baths, horse troughs, etc. at least once a week.
- Keep roof gutters clean.
- Cover rain barrels with screening.
- Fill-in low lying areas in your yard that may hold standing water.
- Repair failed septic systems.
- Clean and chlorinate swimming pools, even if not in use.
If the standing water cannot be removed safely, contact the City of Hattiesburg Public Works Department at 601-545-4547. For additional information about mosquito bite prevention, visit www.cdc.gov/features/StopMosquitoes.
- In early 2017, the City of Hattiesburg adopted ...
- City Hall will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 23 a...
- With $2.3 million appropriated for paving in Fi...
- Today, a Hattiesburg resident made city officia...
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- August 2014