Hattiesburg, Mississippi – On Monday, March 7, Mayor Toby Barker announced his reappointment of Delores McNair for continued service to the Hattiesburg Public School District Board of Trustees.
McNair was first appointed to the board in 2017, and she has served as president of the HPSD Board of Trustees since 2018.
“Delores McNair’s tenure on the Hattiesburg Public School District Board of Trustees has been one of accomplishment and accountability,” said Mayor Toby Barker. “At a critical time in the life of our public schools, she came in and demonstrated responsible fiscal leadership, established high expectations of academic excellence and solidified community support. The future of our school district is bright under the leadership of Ms. McNair and superintendent Dr. Robert Williams.”
In addition to the bond rating being upgraded three times during her tenure, the school district has also seen the following additional accomplishments:
- The 4-year graduation rate reached 89.7% for 2020-2021, which is above the state average of 88.4% and the highest since the state adopted its current accountability model.
- Kindergarten readiness was measured at 40% for the Fall of 2021, placing #17 in the state and above the state average of 31.8%.
- Four of five elementary schools reached B (high performing) status and N.R. Burger Middle School reached B (high performing) status.
- City residents within the school district voted to approve the renewal of the district’s bond with 94% of the vote.
- The district received an early learning collaborative grant in 2018.
McNair has more than 20 years in office administration, budget management and coordination of events and special projects. A Southern Miss alumna, she currently serves as the Assistant Dean of Students for Student Outreach & Support in The University of Southern Mississippi’s Division of Student Affairs.
McNair is also an alumna of Hattiesburg High School, and has served as a member of the HPSD parent advisory council, PACE Head Start policy council, Hattiesburg High School’s Title I committee and the parent-teacher associations for N.R. Burger Middle School, Hawkins Elementary and PACE Head Start.
McNair’s nomination is on the City Council agenda this week and will be voted on by the Hattiesburg City Council on Tuesday, March 8.