Hattiesburg Launches New Infrastructure Project for Country Club Road

Hattiesburg Launches New Infrastructure Project for Country Club Road

Hattiesburg, Mississippi – This week, Hattiesburg will begin a long-awaited construction project along the Country Club Road corridor. Anticipated to cost approximately $2 million, this infrastructure project will include new drainage, improved sidewalks, speed tables, additional landscaping and paving.

“This will be a significant transformation of this important corridor, greatly improving the usability, safety and efficiency of Country Club Road,” said Mayor Toby Barker. “As with all projects of this size, we anticipate some inconveniences to residents and motorists, and we ask for your patience as this project moves forward.” 

The full project scope spans Country Club Road from JC Killingsworth to Highway 49 and it includes:

  • curb and gutter work will be installed to help create better drainage along the roadway;
  • an 8-foot multi0use path on the Vernon Dahmer Park side of the street to make the road more accessible to pedestrians, bicycles and wheelchairs; and
  • two raised crosswalks will assist in helping residents cross Country Club Road near the park, as well as near Mount Olive Baptist Church. These are also referred to as speed tables and will assist speed-calming measures for this neighborhood road.

The planning work for this project began several years ago under then-Mayor Johnny DuPree’s administration; and after a delay due to audit suspension in 2017 and 2018, the process was finally able to move forward. Additionally, it builds on the infrastructure upgrades from 2019 and 2020, replacing undersized water lines throughout the neighborhood in preparation for this project. 

The total cost of the Country Club Road Improvements Project is right under $2 million, with 80 percent of the construction costs coming from federal MPO funding and the remaining 20 percent paid for by the City of Hattiesburg. 

Construction is expected to take one year, depending on the weather