Mayor’s Youth Council – 2018
Mayor Toby Barker’s office is now seeking applicants for the 2018 Mayor’s Youth Council from high school students who reside in the city limits of Hattiesburg.
“One aspiration we have for our administration is to engage and cultivate a generation of young leaders who love Hattiesburg and want to leave it better than they found it,” said Barker. “Mayor’s Youth Council is a longstanding program that helps accomplish that vision, and we look forward to seeing this next class of students shape Hattiesburg for the better, both today and long into the future.”
As a part of the program, council members are required to participate in community service through Mayor’s Youth Council-sponsored events, meetings and programs. The council will also carry out a community project benefiting the citizens of Hattiesburg.
Proposed Schedule (subject to change):
Monthly Meetings will be held at 5 p.m.
- Application Deadline – Friday, February 16
- Orientation – Monday, February 26
- Legislative Day – Wednesday, March 7 (tentative)
- March Meeting – Monday, March 19
- April Meeting – Monday, April 16
- May Meeting – Monday, May 14
- June Meeting – Monday, June 11
- Program End/Luncheon with the Mayor – July – TBD
Students must fill out an application, reside in the city limits of Hattiesburg and be enrolled at a local high school or in a home school program.