Home → Employment
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Hattiesburg. There are several ways to apply for an open, posted position:
• Apply in person at the Human Resources Department, 3rd floor City Hall, 200 Forrest Street, downtown Hattiesburg, directly across from the Saenger Theater. All available jobs are posted for review; or
• Go to the Download section on the left side of the City's Web site, click on it and drop down to the Administration section, click on Employment Application, and print application. Complete employment application and submit to the Human Resources Department, 3rd floor City Hall, 200 Forrest Street, Downtown Hattiesburg, directly across from the Saenger Theater. Or, if desired, you may mail completed application to, Human Resources, P. O. Box 1898, Hattiesburg MS, 39403-1898.
If you have any questions about the application process, you may contact the Human Resources Department at 601.545.4571.
Note: The application for the Police and Fire Academy is not available online. You must apply in person at the Human Resources Department.
Position: Internal Auditor
Department: Mayor & Administration
Rate of Pay: $16.82/hr + DOE
• Develop an internal audit program to test internal control and compliance processes used by the various departments within in the City
• Assess adequacy of control procedures currently in place; develop recommendations for and help implement improved internal control and documentation
• Tests and documents the existence of effective internal control procedures currently in place
• Establish and maintain open communication with management and communicates audit findings as appropriate
• Documents audit tests, results and audit findings
• Coordinates activities with the City’s independent auditor
• Other duties, as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, auditing, business or a related field
• 2-3 years internal audit and/or public accounting experience auditing governmental entities
• Knowledge of GASB requirements
• Knowledge of compliance for federal grants
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Ability to accurately type 30-40 words per minute on administered typing test.
Position: Warrant Officer (seeking candidates for 2 positions)Department: Municipal CourtStatus: Part – Time – will work no more than 20 hours per week.
Rate of Pay: $15.00/hr
Summary of Positions Duties: Duties include execution of Class “C” misdemeanor warrants, summons, or other process issued by Municipal Court. Assist other jurisdictions with the execution of warrants within the City if needed. Serve as Bailiff for the Municipal Court.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Warrant service;
• Bailiff procedures;
• City ordinances;
• Police communications;
• Laws of arrests, Mississippi Penal Code and Code of Criminal Procedures;
• All other subordinate levels of law enforcement duties, responsibilities and procedures;
• Use and care of vehicles, firearms, and specialized equipment.
Skills and Abilities:
• Follow the policies and procedures of the City of Hattiesburg and the Municipal Court;
• Perform assigned duties with little or no supervision;
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, law enforcement agencies, judicial officials, and the general public;
• Understand and follow written and oral instruction, departmental policy, rules, regulations and laws;
• Ability to analyze situations and adopt a quick, effective, and reasonable course of action;
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing;
• Possess skills in the operation and maintenance of a number of office machines and equipment such as PC’s, copier, fax machine, calculator, etc.
• Ability to tolerate outside working conditions; and• Ability to maintain appropriate necessary certifications and licenses applicable to job responsibilities, including a Valid Mississippi driver’s license.
• Must pass and maintain all physical activities and requirements to maintain Law Enforcement Certification in Mississippi.Environmental Factors and Safety Hazards: Work may be performed in a climate controlled office environment or out in hot/cold weather while serving warrants, summons.
• Will work outside of the office to serve warrants, summons, and other process papers for the City of Hattiesburg Municipal Court.
• Will serve as Court Bailiff when Municipal Court is in session maintaining decorum and security in the courtroom during court proceedings.
• Will perform other duties as directed by the Municipal Court Judge.
• Must notify the proper agency when serving warrants out of Hattiesburg City Limits.
Required Experience and Training:
• High School graduation, or equivalent;
• Graduation from a recognized police academy;
• Basic Law Enforcement certification license or ability to obtain license with a refresher course within established timeframe, plus a minimum of three (3) years prior experience as a law enforcement officer.
Facility Maintenance Repairer
Position: Facility Maintenance Repairer
Department: Public Services
Division: Traffic Control and Operations
Rate of Pay: $10.00/hr
Physical Demands of Position: Standing, manual dexterity, walking, climbing, lifting, reaching, use of hand tools. After proper training, candidate must be able to tolerate heights in a bucket truck.
Working Conditions: Inside and outside during any weather conditions.
Nature of Work: This is manual work of a skilled nature. Individual must be able to interpret the manual on uniform traffic control devices in order to accomplish the daily assigned jobs. Assignment are usually received in the form of a request for service or given verbally over the radio.
Examples of Work:
• Paint markings on city streets.
• Install traffic signs.
• Help with installation of traffic signals.
• Performs related work as required.
Certificates/License: Must have and maintain a valid Mississippi driver’s license.
Desirable Qualifications: High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent with one (1) year of related experience or any combination of education, training and/or experience which reflects job qualifications.
Mechanic - Mass Transit
Department: Federal & State Programs
Division: Mass Transit
Rate of Pay: $12.00/hr
Nature of Work: Mechanic is a maintenance employee, who is capable of performing in a workmanlike manner in a reasonable length of time, with a minimum amount of supervision when necessary, any and all repairs, either major or minor, preventative maintenance, on such vehicles or equipment or units thereof, that are assigned to Hub City Transit Mass Transit Fleet.
Examples of Work: (Duties will vary by assignment)
With minimal supervision, perform all repairs and service such as but not limited to air conditioning and heating systems, electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems and minor body repair; perform safety inspections of vehicles; perform preventative maintenance on vehicles as scheduled; perform road/service calls and operate HCT fleet vehicles as necessary; abide by all established safety training, and quality assurance programs; request quotes and order fleet maintenance parts. There is exposure to chemicals and/or hazardous materials on a daily basis with cleaners and soaps used in a shop. Individuals holding this position may be required to perform “other related duties” as assigned by the Division Manager or Department Director.
Desirable Qualifications: High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent plus two (2) year of related experience or any combination of education, training, and/or experience which reflect job qualifications. Applicants must have a Class “B” CDL with an airbrake endorsement. Must properly and safely use transit vehicles, forklift, hydraulic lifts, air ratchets, tow trucks, troubleshooting devices and other maintenance and repair machinery. Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Must be able to maintain professional composure, confidentially; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions. Physical demands involve standing, walking, bending/kneeling/lifting/climbing.
Work Schedule: This position may require flexible scheduling. Schedule may vary to meet demands and hours of the operation of bus service, including overtime, split shift, holidays, weekends, nights, and irregular hours.
Posting Date: 10/14/13
GIS Intern - Part Time
Status: Part time
Department: Federal/State Programs
Rate of Pay: $9.00/hr
Nature of Work: To provide assistance to the GIS staff in maintaining database files, creating maps, completing data requests and GPS data collection. Other duties may include assisting in printing, copying hardcopies of City maps, researching and interfacing with other city employees and citizens.
Desirable Qualifications: The successful candidate will preferably have or will be enrolled in an accredited Bachelor's or graduate program in GIS Technologies, Geography, Urban and Regional Planning, Civil engineering or a related field. Candidates without a professional degree that have good GIS and programming experience are also encouraged to apply.
Must have hands-on experience with ESRI ArcGIS 9.0 or higher (ArcEditor or higher) products, with proficiencies in the use of MS office suite.
Spatial analyst, Network Analyst and GPS data collection experience is a plus.
Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge of database servers (SQL, oracle etc) and programming experience.
Posting Date: 08/26/13
|Page 2 of 2|