Home → Employment
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Hattiesburg. There are several ways to apply for an open, posted position:
• Apply in person at the Human Resources Department, 3rd floor City Hall, 200 Forrest Street, downtown Hattiesburg, directly across from the Saenger Theater. All available jobs are posted for review; or
• Go to the Download section on the left side of the City's Web site, click on it and drop down to the Administration section, click on Employment Application, and print application. Complete employment application and submit to the Human Resources Department, 3rd floor City Hall, 200 Forrest Street, Downtown Hattiesburg, directly across from the Saenger Theater. Or, if desired, you may mail completed application to, Human Resources, P. O. Box 1898, Hattiesburg MS, 39403-1898.
If you have any questions about the application process, you may contact the Human Resources Department at 601.545.4571.
Note: The application for the Police and Fire Academy is not available online. You must apply in person at the Human Resources Department.
Department of Engineering (Office Assistant)
POSITION: OFFICE ASSISTANT
DIVISION: Public Service
RATE OF PAY: $9.50/HR
NATURE OF WORK:
This is secretarial and clerical work that involves a wide variety of activities in assisting the manager of a division. Work is under general supervision, but employee should be able to work independently on daily activities, with initiative, independent judgment and discretion in all duties. Work involves considerable amount of contact with the public.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
• Enters information on computer. Accesses computer files for specialized information.
• Answers the telephone, interviews, screens, and refers callers as needed. Answers various inquiries and provides information on departmental services and functions.
• Maintains appointment schedules, orders office supplies, opens mail and distributes accordingly
.• Performs duties unique to the department, division, or office that are not of a clerical nature.
• Performs related work as required.
DESIRABLE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• High school graduate or G.E.D. or equivalent.
• Considerable experience in responsible secretarial work, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Considerable knowledge of modern office equipment such as, computer, printer, and calculator. Ability to make independent decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Ability to type 40-50 WPM.
• Desired experience and knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Word, Excel and WordPerfect.
POSTING DATE: August 26, 2014PAN #: 226-57
Position: Internal Auditor
Department: Mayor & Administration
Rate of Pay: $16.82/hr + DOE
• Develop an internal audit program to test internal control and compliance processes used by the various departments within in the City
• Assess adequacy of control procedures currently in place; develop recommendations for and help implement improved internal control and documentation
• Tests and documents the existence of effective internal control procedures currently in place
• Establish and maintain open communication with management and communicates audit findings as appropriate
• Documents audit tests, results and audit findings
• Coordinates activities with the City’s independent auditor
• Other duties, as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, auditing, business or a related field
• 2-3 years internal audit and/or public accounting experience auditing governmental entities
• Knowledge of GASB requirements
• Knowledge of compliance for federal grants
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Position: Warrant Officer (seeking candidates for 2 positions)Department: Municipal CourtStatus: Part – Time – will work no more than 20 hours per week.
Rate of Pay: $15.00/hr
Summary of Positions Duties: Duties include execution of Class “C” misdemeanor warrants, summons, or other process issued by Municipal Court. Assist other jurisdictions with the execution of warrants within the City if needed. Serve as Bailiff for the Municipal Court.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Warrant service;
• Bailiff procedures;
• City ordinances;
• Police communications;
• Laws of arrests, Mississippi Penal Code and Code of Criminal Procedures;
• All other subordinate levels of law enforcement duties, responsibilities and procedures;
• Use and care of vehicles, firearms, and specialized equipment.
Skills and Abilities:
• Follow the policies and procedures of the City of Hattiesburg and the Municipal Court;
• Perform assigned duties with little or no supervision;
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, law enforcement agencies, judicial officials, and the general public;
• Understand and follow written and oral instruction, departmental policy, rules, regulations and laws;
• Ability to analyze situations and adopt a quick, effective, and reasonable course of action;
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing;
• Possess skills in the operation and maintenance of a number of office machines and equipment such as PC’s, copier, fax machine, calculator, etc.
• Ability to tolerate outside working conditions; and• Ability to maintain appropriate necessary certifications and licenses applicable to job responsibilities, including a Valid Mississippi driver’s license.
• Must pass and maintain all physical activities and requirements to maintain Law Enforcement Certification in Mississippi.Environmental Factors and Safety Hazards: Work may be performed in a climate controlled office environment or out in hot/cold weather while serving warrants, summons.
• Will work outside of the office to serve warrants, summons, and other process papers for the City of Hattiesburg Municipal Court.
• Will serve as Court Bailiff when Municipal Court is in session maintaining decorum and security in the courtroom during court proceedings.
• Will perform other duties as directed by the Municipal Court Judge.
• Must notify the proper agency when serving warrants out of Hattiesburg City Limits.
Required Experience and Training:
• High School graduation, or equivalent;
• Graduation from a recognized police academy;
• Basic Law Enforcement certification license or ability to obtain license with a refresher course within established timeframe, plus a minimum of three (3) years prior experience as a law enforcement officer.
Facility Maintenance Repairer
Position: Facility Maintenance Repairer
Department: Public Services
Division: Traffic Control and Operations
Rate of Pay: $10.00/hr
Physical Demands of Position: Standing, manual dexterity, walking, climbing, lifting, reaching, use of hand tools. After proper training, candidate must be able to tolerate heights in a bucket truck.
Working Conditions: Inside and outside during any weather conditions.
Nature of Work: This is manual work of a skilled nature. Individual must be able to interpret the manual on uniform traffic control devices in order to accomplish the daily assigned jobs. Assignment are usually received in the form of a request for service or given verbally over the radio.
Examples of Work:
• Paint markings on city streets.
• Install traffic signs.
• Help with installation of traffic signals.
• Performs related work as required.
Certificates/License: Must have and maintain a valid Mississippi driver’s license.
Desirable Qualifications: High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent with one (1) year of related experience or any combination of education, training and/or experience which reflects job qualifications.
Crew Foreman - Streets
Department: Public Works
Rate of Pay: $11.00/hr
Nature of Work:
This is a skilled position in which the candidate will work to maintain and repair City streets, sidewalks, and drainage ditches. The Crew Foreman will supervise on a daily basis between four and seven full-time employees. The Crew Foreman works regular hours year round with occasional overtime when the workload demands it; and occasional night work but no shift work is required. The person in this position is on call only in the event of a storm or other emergency. 100% of work required is outdoors in all weather conditions. This position has accountability for safety and legal issues related to the work for which the position is responsible. The Crew Foreman is exposed to chemical and/or hazardous materials on a daily basis.
Examples of Work:
Supervises subordinate personnel
Manage personnel on job siteAssign crews their daily projects
Fill out accident reports for work related injuries
Conduct safety meetings
Verify that property lines are accurate before beginning a project
Ensure safety of the public
Operate Departmental equipment to dig ditches, holes, and transport asphalt and sand
Use proper patching material to maintain streets, including concrete and cold patch
Oversee various parts of resurfacing projects, as directed
Lay pipe for drainage ditches
Clear debris from ditches
Fit pipes together using couplings, bolts and/or plastic ties
Remove excess silt, grass and debris between culverts
Assist with determining which ditches need repair
Provide daily maintenance of departmental vehicles
A High School diploma or GED, or better is required. This position requires the person to have the skills necessary for proper use of assigned equipment. Candidate must possess good oral, written and mathematical skills. Candidate must be a skilled truck driver and heavy equipment operator. Candidate must have the ability to communicate effectively with residents, elected officials and other City employees. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Posting Date: April 7, 2014
|Page 1 of 2|