Home → Employment
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Hattiesburg. There are several ways to apply for an open, posted position:
• Apply in person at the Human Resources Department, 3rd floor City Hall, 200 Forrest Street, downtown Hattiesburg, directly across from the Saenger Theater. All available jobs are posted for review; or
• Go to the Download section on the left side of the City's Web site, click on it and drop down to the Administration section, click on Employment Application, and print application. Complete employment application and submit to the Human Resources Department, 3rd floor City Hall, 200 Forrest Street, Downtown Hattiesburg, directly across from the Saenger Theater. Or, if desired, you may mail completed application to, Human Resources, P. O. Box 1898, Hattiesburg MS, 39403-1898.
If you have any questions about the application process, you may contact the Human Resources Department at 601.545.4571.
Note: The application for the Police and Fire Academy is not available online. You must apply in person at the Human Resources Department.
Department: Public Service
Rate of Pay: $10.00/hr
Nature of Work:
This is skilled to semi-skilled work in the maintenance and repair of a variety of city vehicles and equipment. Employees in this class are responsible for assisting in the maintenance and repair of such equipment as automotive cars and trucks, heavy duty class trucks, tractors, mass transit buses, dozers, mowers, pumps, and utility maintenance and construction equipment. Work is designated by supervisors and is generally inspected by the same in the form of tests and usage.
Essential Functions of Job:
• Performs oil and lube jobs on an assortment of equipment. Under supervision, will perform overhaul and repairs on gasoline engines.
Desirable Education and Experience:
Graduation from high school or G.E.D equivalent with one year working experience as an automotive mechanic; or an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the skills, knowledge and ability to perform the required tasks.
Application must possess a Commercial Driver's License of at least a Class "B" or agree to obtain a commercial driver's license with six (6) months of hire.
Posting Date: Oct. 24, 2014
DEPUTY COURT CLERK (Full-Time)
POSITION: DEPUTY COURT CLERK (Full-Time) MON-FRI (3-11 P.M.)
NATURE OF WORK:WORK INVOLVES THE PERFORMANCE OF TECHNICAL CLERICAL FUNCTIONS. INCUMBENT MUST APPLY INDEPENDENT JUDGEMENT AND INTERPRET ROUTINE POLICIES AND REGULATIONS.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
• COLLECTS, SORTS, AND FILES COURT CASES;
• PULLS WARRANTS TO MATCH ARREST SHEETS.
• ASSISTS IN COMPILING TRAFFIC DOCKETS FOR THE COURT.
• ENTERS REQUIRED INFORMATION ON DISPLAY TERMINAL
• WAITS ON PUBLIC AT COUNTER; ACCEPTS PAYMENTS AND
• PERFORMS RELATED WORK AS REQUIRED.
• WILL BE REQUIRED TO WORK SOME HOLIDAYS
• MUST BE ABLE TO WORK ON CALL
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR G.E.D., PLUS TWO (2) YEARS COURT CLERICAL EXPERIENCE, OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE.
Persons in this position must be bondable. Though the city pays for the bonding process, all applicants must complete the Public Official's Application and Indemnity Agreement before any offer of position can be extended.
POSTING DATE: 10/24/2014
PLANNING DIVISION MANAGER
POSITION: PLANNING DIVISION MANAGER
DEPARTMENT: URBAN DEVELOPMENT
RATE OF PAY: $48,000 DOE (Depending on Experience)
NATURE OF WORK:
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
• Develops planning, zoning and subdivision ordinances and procedures in accordance with such ordinances, rules, procedures and regulations; provide technical advice on related ordinance preparation.
• Monitors and enforces compliance with Federal, State and Local laws and regulations relating to planning matters.
• Represents the department, relative to planning and zoning matters, at meetings with the Planning Commission, City Council, Mayor and other advisory groups, as directed by the Department Director.
• Directs the preparation and maintenance of necessary planning-related records, directs and participates in the preparation of reports on zoning, land use, environmental issues, floodplain, site development and urban planning.
• Oversees the Neighborhood Improvement Coordinator and the Neighborhood Network program.
• Oversees the Action Center staff and the procedures for receiving citizens’ complaints, etc.
• Serves as a staff liaison for local and regional boards, committees and commissions as directed by the Department Director.
• Performs related work as required.
DESIRABLE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Architecture or a related field and or any equivalent combination of education and experience. AICP certification preferred.
• Prefer a minimum of eight years of experience in municipal planning at the Manager’s level.
• Thorough knowledge of Federal, State and Local laws and standards applicable to planning, land/natural resource management, zoning, economic development, historic preservation, and the environment.
• Extensive knowledge of land use, storm water compliance, comprehensive plans, form-based codes with design guidelines and interpretation of zoning regulations using modern theories, principles and techniques of urban planning,
• Considerable experience in making public presentations and ability to communicate orally and in writing.
• Ability to identify and develop solutions to guide the future growth, design and aesthetics of the built environment and positively influence community leaders and the public in acceptance of such solutions.
• Experience and skills in using various computer software (Microsoft Word products, GIS, etc.); map interpretations (tax, floodplain, zoning, property boundaries, etc.); Site Plan Review plan submittals, and site related documents.
Ability to accurately type 30-40 words per minute on administered typing test.
Position: Internal Auditor
Department: Mayor & Administration
Rate of Pay: $16.82/hr + DOE
• Develop an internal audit program to test internal control and compliance processes used by the various departments within in the City
• Assess adequacy of control procedures currently in place; develop recommendations for and help implement improved internal control and documentation
• Tests and documents the existence of effective internal control procedures currently in place
• Establish and maintain open communication with management and communicates audit findings as appropriate
• Documents audit tests, results and audit findings
• Coordinates activities with the City’s independent auditor
• Other duties, as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, auditing, business or a related field
• 2-3 years internal audit and/or public accounting experience auditing governmental entities
• Knowledge of GASB requirements
• Knowledge of compliance for federal grants
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Ability to accurately type 30-40 words per minute on administered typing test.
Position: Warrant Officer (seeking candidates for 2 positions)Department: Municipal CourtStatus: Part – Time – will work no more than 20 hours per week.
Rate of Pay: $15.00/hr
Summary of Positions Duties: Duties include execution of Class “C” misdemeanor warrants, summons, or other process issued by Municipal Court. Assist other jurisdictions with the execution of warrants within the City if needed. Serve as Bailiff for the Municipal Court.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Warrant service;
• Bailiff procedures;
• City ordinances;
• Police communications;
• Laws of arrests, Mississippi Penal Code and Code of Criminal Procedures;
• All other subordinate levels of law enforcement duties, responsibilities and procedures;
• Use and care of vehicles, firearms, and specialized equipment.
Skills and Abilities:
• Follow the policies and procedures of the City of Hattiesburg and the Municipal Court;
• Perform assigned duties with little or no supervision;
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, law enforcement agencies, judicial officials, and the general public;
• Understand and follow written and oral instruction, departmental policy, rules, regulations and laws;
• Ability to analyze situations and adopt a quick, effective, and reasonable course of action;
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing;
• Possess skills in the operation and maintenance of a number of office machines and equipment such as PC’s, copier, fax machine, calculator, etc.
• Ability to tolerate outside working conditions; and• Ability to maintain appropriate necessary certifications and licenses applicable to job responsibilities, including a Valid Mississippi driver’s license.
• Must pass and maintain all physical activities and requirements to maintain Law Enforcement Certification in Mississippi.Environmental Factors and Safety Hazards: Work may be performed in a climate controlled office environment or out in hot/cold weather while serving warrants, summons.
• Will work outside of the office to serve warrants, summons, and other process papers for the City of Hattiesburg Municipal Court.
• Will serve as Court Bailiff when Municipal Court is in session maintaining decorum and security in the courtroom during court proceedings.
• Will perform other duties as directed by the Municipal Court Judge.
• Must notify the proper agency when serving warrants out of Hattiesburg City Limits.
Required Experience and Training:
• High School graduation, or equivalent;
• Graduation from a recognized police academy;
• Basic Law Enforcement certification license or ability to obtain license with a refresher course within established timeframe, plus a minimum of three (3) years prior experience as a law enforcement officer.
|Page 1 of 2|