Home → Employment
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Hattiesburg. There are several ways to apply for an open, posted position:
• Apply in person at the Human Resources Department, 3rd floor City Hall, 200 Forrest Street, downtown Hattiesburg, directly across from the Saenger Theater. All available jobs are posted for review; or
• Go to the Download section on the left side of the City's Web site, click on it and drop down to the Administration section, click on Employment Application, and print application. Complete employment application and submit to the Human Resources Department, 3rd floor City Hall, 200 Forrest Street, Downtown Hattiesburg, directly across from the Saenger Theater. Or, if desired, you may mail completed application to, Human Resources, P. O. Box 1898, Hattiesburg MS, 39403-1898.
If you have any questions about the application process, you may contact the Human Resources Department at 601.545.4571.
Note: The application for the Police and Fire Academy is not available online. You must apply in person at the Human Resources Department.
Facility Maintenance Repairer
Position: Facility Maintenance Repairer
Department: Cemetery/Parks & Recreation
Rate of Pay: $10.00 hr
Performs semiskilled and skilled work in the operation and maintenance of City cemeteries and other recreation department/city facilities; does related work as required. Work is performed under regular supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintenance and care of city cemeteries, parks and recreation facilities.
• Mowing, weed eating, leave and litter clean up.
• Operate variety of mowers and landscape equipment.
• Assist with the opening and closing of graves.
• Daily tasks of cemetery maintenance.
• Maintain safe work environment for crew and public
• Perform work in safe, responsible manner. Follow all city and equipment safety guidelines.
• Perform other duties as required.
• General knowledge of the operation and maintenance of cemetery and grounds maintenance equipment.
• General knowledge of landscaping and grounds maintenance practices.
• Ability to work with co-workers and the general public.
Must possess and maintain a valid Mississippi Driver’s License.
Posting Date: 08/13/2014
Position: Internal Auditor
Department: Mayor & Administration
Rate of Pay: $16.82/hr + DOE
• Develop an internal audit program to test internal control and compliance processes used by the various departments within in the City
• Assess adequacy of control procedures currently in place; develop recommendations for and help implement improved internal control and documentation
• Tests and documents the existence of effective internal control procedures currently in place
• Establish and maintain open communication with management and communicates audit findings as appropriate
• Documents audit tests, results and audit findings
• Coordinates activities with the City’s independent auditor
• Other duties, as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, auditing, business or a related field
• 2-3 years internal audit and/or public accounting experience auditing governmental entities
• Knowledge of GASB requirements
• Knowledge of compliance for federal grants
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Position: Warrant Officer (seeking candidates for 2 positions)Department: Municipal CourtStatus: Part – Time – will work no more than 20 hours per week.
Rate of Pay: $15.00/hr
Summary of Positions Duties: Duties include execution of Class “C” misdemeanor warrants, summons, or other process issued by Municipal Court. Assist other jurisdictions with the execution of warrants within the City if needed. Serve as Bailiff for the Municipal Court.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Warrant service;
• Bailiff procedures;
• City ordinances;
• Police communications;
• Laws of arrests, Mississippi Penal Code and Code of Criminal Procedures;
• All other subordinate levels of law enforcement duties, responsibilities and procedures;
• Use and care of vehicles, firearms, and specialized equipment.
Skills and Abilities:
• Follow the policies and procedures of the City of Hattiesburg and the Municipal Court;
• Perform assigned duties with little or no supervision;
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, law enforcement agencies, judicial officials, and the general public;
• Understand and follow written and oral instruction, departmental policy, rules, regulations and laws;
• Ability to analyze situations and adopt a quick, effective, and reasonable course of action;
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing;
• Possess skills in the operation and maintenance of a number of office machines and equipment such as PC’s, copier, fax machine, calculator, etc.
• Ability to tolerate outside working conditions; and• Ability to maintain appropriate necessary certifications and licenses applicable to job responsibilities, including a Valid Mississippi driver’s license.
• Must pass and maintain all physical activities and requirements to maintain Law Enforcement Certification in Mississippi.Environmental Factors and Safety Hazards: Work may be performed in a climate controlled office environment or out in hot/cold weather while serving warrants, summons.
• Will work outside of the office to serve warrants, summons, and other process papers for the City of Hattiesburg Municipal Court.
• Will serve as Court Bailiff when Municipal Court is in session maintaining decorum and security in the courtroom during court proceedings.
• Will perform other duties as directed by the Municipal Court Judge.
• Must notify the proper agency when serving warrants out of Hattiesburg City Limits.
Required Experience and Training:
• High School graduation, or equivalent;
• Graduation from a recognized police academy;
• Basic Law Enforcement certification license or ability to obtain license with a refresher course within established timeframe, plus a minimum of three (3) years prior experience as a law enforcement officer.
FACILITY MAINTENANCE REPAIRER
POSITION: FACILITY MAINTENANCE REPAIRER
DEPARTMENT: POLICE DEPARTMENT
RATE OF PAY: $10.00 HR
NATURE OF WORK:
THIS IS SKILLED WORK IN DIRECTION AND PARTICIPATING IN BUILDING MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR SERVICES FOR THE POLICE DEPARTMENT PROPERTY AND BUILDINGS. WORK INVOLVES
• THE PERFORMANCE OF TASK RELATED TO PLUMBING, CONSTRUCTION, PAINTING, HEATING, AIR CONDITIONING AND ELECTRICAL WORK.
• WORK IS PERFORMED WITH SOME INDEPENDENCE AND INVOLVES SUPERVISED ACTIVITES OF BUILDING MAINTENANCE
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
MAINTAINS EFFICIENT CARE AND MAINTENANCE OF POLICE DEPARTMENT FACILITIES.
PERFORMS A VARIETY OF ROUTINE ELECTRICAL DUTIES SUCH AS INSTALLING LIGHT FIXTURES, REPLACING ELECTRICAL OUTLETS, SWITCHES, AND TRANSFORMERS TO INCLUDE STRINGING OR RUNNING WIRE.
MAINTENANCE AND UPKEEP ON HEATING, AIR-CONDITIONING SYSTEMS AND COMPONETS PERFORMING REPAIRS AS NECESSARY.
MAINTENANCE, TESTING AND UPKEEP OF EMERGENCY GENERATORS.
SET UP SYSTEMS ONSITE WITH WATER AND ELECTRICAL SERVICE.
PARTICIPATES IN AND SUPERVISES THE REPAIR, INSTALLATION AND REPLACEMENT OF GLASS, LOCKS, WALL PARTITIONS, FILTERS, DRAIN LINES, AND PLUMBING REPAIRS.
PERFORMS RELATED WORK AS ASSIGNED.
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR G.E.D.HAS A WORKING KNOWLEDGE OF BUILDING INFRASTRUCTURE (HVAC, ELECTRICAL AND PLUMBING) ALONG WITH APPLICABLE CODES. MUST HAVE A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE.
Facility Maintenance Repairer
Position: Facility Maintenance Repairer
Department: Public Services
Division: Traffic Control and Operations
Rate of Pay: $10.00/hr
Physical Demands of Position: Standing, manual dexterity, walking, climbing, lifting, reaching, use of hand tools. After proper training, candidate must be able to tolerate heights in a bucket truck.
Working Conditions: Inside and outside during any weather conditions.
Nature of Work: This is manual work of a skilled nature. Individual must be able to interpret the manual on uniform traffic control devices in order to accomplish the daily assigned jobs. Assignment are usually received in the form of a request for service or given verbally over the radio.
Examples of Work:
• Paint markings on city streets.
• Install traffic signs.
• Help with installation of traffic signals.
• Performs related work as required.
Certificates/License: Must have and maintain a valid Mississippi driver’s license.
Desirable Qualifications: High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent with one (1) year of related experience or any combination of education, training and/or experience which reflects job qualifications.
|Page 1 of 2|