Home → Employment
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Hattiesburg. There are several ways to apply for an open, posted position:
• Complete the Online Application Process here.
• Apply in person at the Human Resources Department, 3rd floor City Hall, 200 Forrest Street, downtown Hattiesburg, directly across from the Saenger Theater. All available jobs are posted for review; or
If you have any questions about the application process, you may contact the Human Resources Department at 601.545.4571.
NOTE: The application for the Police and Fire Academy is not available online. You must apply in person at the Human Resources Department.
POSITION: CREW FOREMAN
DEPARTMENT: WATER AND SEWER DEPARTMENT
RATE OF PAY: $11.00/HR
NATURE OF WORK:
This is a skilled Supervisory Position overseeing the maintenance and repair of the wastewater collection system (sewer lines and manholes) for the City of Hattiesburg. The Crew Foreman will be supervised on a daily basis by the Division Manager and will be required to supervise up to six (6) employees while completing assigned work orders with minor supervision. Crew Foreman will be required to work nights, weekends and holidays if required for the proper operation and maintenance of the wastewater collection system. Crew Foreman is accountability for employee safety and equipment, trucks and tools assigned to his crew.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
This position requires a valid driver’s license be maintained while employed. High School diploma or G.E.D. with at least two (2) years’ experience in the repair and maintenance of wastewater collection systems. Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays. Hepatitis B vaccination. Both written and verbal communication are essential.
Posting Date: 01/26/2015
Department: Parks and Recreation
Position: Equipment Operator
Division: Tree Crew
Rate of Pay: $10.00/hr
Nature of Work: This is skilled work in the operation of heavy duty automotive maintenance equipment. Operator is responsible for daily preventive maintenance of equipment. Assignments are usually received in the form of orders to accomplish a specific task. Most work will consist of tree removal, trimming, planting and at times hazard abatement. Daily task included equipment and chainsaw operation/maintenance, tree work, trimming/pruning and tree planting.
Examples of Work:
PERFORMS OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED.
Posting Date: December 9, 2014
Department of Public Works (Equipment Operator)Position: Equipment Operator
Division: Public Works
Rate of Pay: $10.00/hr
Nature of Work:
Examples of Work:
Posting Date: November 26, 2014
Crew Worker – FTPosition: Crew Worker – FT
Department: Public Works
Rate of Pay: $9.00/hr
Nature of Work: This is semi-skilled maintenance and repair work. Will maintain and repair City streets, sidewalks, drainage ditches.
Examples or Work:
Maintain drainage ditches and right of ways
Daily maintenance of departmental vehicles
Performs other duties as directed.
Posting Date: October 11, 2013
Position: Warrant Officer (seeking candidates for 2 positions)Department: Municipal CourtStatus: Part – Time – will work no more than 20 hours per week.
Rate of Pay: $15.00/hr
Summary of Positions Duties: Duties include execution of Class “C” misdemeanor warrants, summons, or other process issued by Municipal Court. Assist other jurisdictions with the execution of warrants within the City if needed. Serve as Bailiff for the Municipal Court.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Warrant service;
• Bailiff procedures;
• City ordinances;
• Police communications;
• Laws of arrests, Mississippi Penal Code and Code of Criminal Procedures;
• All other subordinate levels of law enforcement duties, responsibilities and procedures;
• Use and care of vehicles, firearms, and specialized equipment.
Skills and Abilities:
• Follow the policies and procedures of the City of Hattiesburg and the Municipal Court;
• Perform assigned duties with little or no supervision;
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, law enforcement agencies, judicial officials, and the general public;
• Understand and follow written and oral instruction, departmental policy, rules, regulations and laws;
• Ability to analyze situations and adopt a quick, effective, and reasonable course of action;
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing;
• Possess skills in the operation and maintenance of a number of office machines and equipment such as PC’s, copier, fax machine, calculator, etc.
• Ability to tolerate outside working conditions; and• Ability to maintain appropriate necessary certifications and licenses applicable to job responsibilities, including a Valid Mississippi driver’s license.
• Must pass and maintain all physical activities and requirements to maintain Law Enforcement Certification in Mississippi.Environmental Factors and Safety Hazards: Work may be performed in a climate controlled office environment or out in hot/cold weather while serving warrants, summons.
• Will work outside of the office to serve warrants, summons, and other process papers for the City of Hattiesburg Municipal Court.
• Will serve as Court Bailiff when Municipal Court is in session maintaining decorum and security in the courtroom during court proceedings.
• Will perform other duties as directed by the Municipal Court Judge.
• Must notify the proper agency when serving warrants out of Hattiesburg City Limits.
Required Experience and Training:
• High School graduation, or equivalent;
• Graduation from a recognized police academy;
• Basic Law Enforcement certification license or ability to obtain license with a refresher course within established timeframe, plus a minimum of three (3) years prior experience as a law enforcement officer.
|Page 1 of 2|