Home → Employment
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Hattiesburg. There are several ways to apply for an open, posted position:
• Apply in person at the Human Resources Department, 3rd floor City Hall, 200 Forrest Street, downtown Hattiesburg, directly across from the Saenger Theater. All available jobs are posted for review; or
• Go to the Download section on the left side of the City's Web site, click on it and drop down to the Administration section, click on Employment Application, and print application. Complete employment application and submit to the Human Resources Department, 3rd floor City Hall, 200 Forrest Street, Downtown Hattiesburg, directly across from the Saenger Theater. Or, if desired, you may mail completed application to, Human Resources, P. O. Box 1898, Hattiesburg MS, 39403-1898.
If you have any questions about the application process, you may contact the Human Resources Department at 601.545.4571.
Note: The application for the Police and Fire Academy is not available online. You must apply in person at the Human Resources Department.
POSITION: DIESEL MECHANIC
DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC WORKS
RATE OF PAY: $15.00/HOUR DOE
SUMMARY: The Diesel Mechanic is a full-time, permanent position in the Shop Division. The person in this position is supervised on a daily basis and has no supervisory authority. The Diesel Mechanic works regular hours with occasional overtime and evening work when the workload demands it. There is no shift work involved with this position. This person is always on call.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:Maintain and repair the City’s heavy equipment Perform maintenance and repairs on City vehicles and trucksComplete maintenance and repairs on vehicle and truck enginesAssist with maintenance and repair of small equipment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:Hydraulics systems on heavy equipmentProper procedures for oil changes and tune-ups on various types of vehicles and equipmentBrake systems for vehicles and trucksMaintenance and repair of heating/cooling systems, transmission systems, fuel systemsRepair and maintenance of light and heavy equipment Repair and maintenance of both diesel and gasoline enginesDiagnose basic and more complex problems with vehicles, trucks, and light/heavy equipmentProper disposal of oil, coolant and other automotive fluids
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A high school diploma or its equivalent is required for this position; additional vocational training in auto mechanics or a related field is preferred. A valid class ‘A’ CDL MS driver’s license is required for this position. Diesel Mechanic Certification is required for this position. At least 5 years of experience in this or a related field is strongly recommended for this position.
Posting Date: July 14, 2014
Facility Maintenance Repairer
Position: Facility Maintenance Repairer
Department: Public Services
Division: Traffic Control and Operations
Rate of Pay: $10.00/hr
Physical Demands of Position: Standing, manual dexterity, walking, climbing, lifting, reaching, use of hand tools. After proper training, candidate must be able to tolerate heights in a bucket truck.
Working Conditions: Inside and outside during any weather conditions.
Nature of Work: This is manual work of a skilled nature. Individual must be able to interpret the manual on uniform traffic control devices in order to accomplish the daily assigned jobs. Assignment are usually received in the form of a request for service or given verbally over the radio.
Examples of Work:
• Paint markings on city streets.
• Install traffic signs.
• Help with installation of traffic signals.
• Performs related work as required.
Certificates/License: Must have and maintain a valid Mississippi driver’s license.
Desirable Qualifications: High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent with one (1) year of related experience or any combination of education, training and/or experience which reflects job qualifications.
Posting Date: 07/08/14
Position: Bus Driver
Department: Federal & State Programs
Division: Mass Transit
Rate of Pay: $10.50/hr
Nature of Work: This is responsible skilled work in the operation of a municipal bus. Work is performed under the general direction of the Director of Mass Transit and subject to immediate supervision and inspection by the Director. No supervisory work is involved.
Examples of Work: Drives a municipal bus on a route with a fixed schedule for the purpose of safely transporting passengers. Makes necessary records, including bus logs, and makes accident and other reports as required. Turns in fare money at the end of shift. Reports mechanical defects, road hazards, and other conditions affecting safe driving. Performs related work as required.
Desirable Qualifications: High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent plus one (1) year of related experience or any combination of education, training, and/or experience which reflect job qualifications. Applicants must have a Class “B” commercial driver’s license with “P” endorsement. Considerable knowledge in driving buses or heavy equipment. Knowledge of traffic and highway safety rules and regulations and of the precautions to be taken in avoiding accidents. Ability to deal courteously with the public.
Posting Date: June 23, 2014
POSITION: Engineering Technician
DEPARTMENT: Public Services
RATE OF PAY: $13.10/hr + Depending on Experience
NATURE OF WORK: Ability to supervise; good communication skills; ability to use GPS survey instruments; knowledge of Engineering and GIS programs; knowledge of surveying practices and mathematical skills; knowledge of trigonometry; computer literate; knowledge of materials, methods and maintenance of construction in Public Services.
• Integrating GPS data into GIS programs
• Inspection of projects during construction
• Read and interpret plans and specifications
• Mathematical calculations
• Prepares filed notes for maps and drawings
• Familiar with various computer programs such as Microsoft Excel and Word
• Conducts field surveys and corrections of city maps
• Familiar with inventory control
• Acts as liaison between office and field• Maintains files
• Performs other duties as assigned
POSTING DATE: 06/19/2014
OPEN RECRUITMENT FOR POLICE OFFICERS
The city of Hattiesburg is seeking qualified persons to become police officers.
1. Applicants must be 21 years of age or older at the time of application.
2. Be a United States citizen.
3. Must have a High School Diploma or GED (college degree is preferred).
4. Have no felony arrests or other serious criminal background.
5. Reside within ten (10) miles of Hattiesburg city limits or relocate within six (6) months of employment.
6. Possess a valid driver’s license.
7. Be a registered voter in his/her current county/city of residence.
8. Be of good moral character
Candidates in Police Academy will be paid while they are in the academy at an hourly rate of pay equal to $22,000/yr. with a change of salary effective upon graduation.
Applications are being accepted from June 2, 2014 8:00 a.m. through August 1, 2014 5:00 p.m. in the Human Resources Department, 200 Forrest Street, Hattiesburg MS.
The Civil Service Exam will be offered only on the following date and time at the Hattiesburg Police and Fire Training Academy (53 Academy Drive, Hattiesburg, MS) - Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 9:00am. You must have your application in at City Hall prior to the deadline to be able to take the Civil Service Exam.
*This is to establish an eligibility list only.
|Page 1 of 2|