POSITION: OFFICE MANAGER (OFFICE ASSISTANT VI)
DEPARTMENT: URBAN DEVELOPMENT
RATE OF PAY: 12.50 HR/ DOE
NATURE OF WORK:
- This is a detailed and skilled office administration position which includes working in a complex setting dealing with a wide variety of issues and official records related to planning and land use regulation.
- The position requires initiative, independent judgment and discretion in various administrative duties; deals on a continuing basis with sensitive issues and confidential information and materials; involves considerable contact with the public and city staff; deals with various city codes and maps including, but not limited to, determining parcel location, ownership, zoning, flood zones and historic districts; interpret maps, such as tax parcel, zoning, land use, aerial photography; additional resources as needed to ensure compliance with all State and Federal laws; and the ability to convey this information to the public in a courteous and timely manner.
- The Office Manager will assist all Planning Staff with scheduling, facilitating public hearing preparations, and research of planning issues and ordinances in accordance with state and federal laws and regulations. Organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to multi-task are a must, as well as a positive attitude and eagerness to serve the public.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Provides general information to the public regarding the public hearing process, zoning and parcel map inquiries, and guidelines for new development review.
- Maintain various files and schedules; proof various time sensitive planning documents for accuracy prior to submittal for review and/or distribution.
- Advises public on materials and documents necessary for application to the Site Plan review committee, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustments, Historic Commission and City Council as needed.
- Receives and processes public hearing petitions/ applications for review by staff and boards as needed.
- Provides administrative support as needed for Site Plan review committee, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustments, and Historic Commission as needed.
- Compile, analyze, and prepare data, reports and correspondence, charts, tables, graphics and maps as necessary
- Participates in the preparation and maintenance of necessary planning-related records reports on zoning, land use, transportation, environmental issues and community planning.
- Provides support to Planning Division regarding routine administrative details such as: preparing purchase orders for supplies and equipment; copying, filing, preparing mail-outs and assisting in setup for public hearings.
- Interviews, screens, and refers callers; answers various inquiries and complaints; provide information of basic departmental services and functions.
- Performs related work and other duties as assigned.
DESIRABLE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A 2 year associate degree or a 4 year college degree in a related field is a plus.
- Must have a high level of experience and knowledge in office procedures and administration/management. Operational knowledge of copiers, fax machines, multi-line phone systems and other office equipment.
- Must be highly proficient in computer processes and programs including in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook. Familiarity with PowerPoint, Publisher and AS-400 Systems is a plus. Will require training in Energov and Legistar software. Knowledge of Adobe suite and GIS is a plus.
- Good communication skills for extensive public contact both verbally and in writing; organizational and multi-tasking skills. Ability to compose and prepare professional correspondence is required. Ability to accurately proof facts and grammatical information of various document types and formats are all a must for this position, paralegal related education and/or experience is a plus.
- Must be able to interpret and use digital maps.
- Ability to interpret specialized language and associated technical terms commonly used in City ordinances and state laws.
- Familiarity with purchasing procedures is a plus.
- Will be required to successfully pass a typing test and/or a clerical skills test.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Posting Date: January 30, 2018
Position will be posted at a minimum until 02/06/2018