DEPARTMENT: Urban Development
DIVISION: LAND CODE
RATE OF PAY: $35,500
Nature of Work:
Directs, manages, supervises, and coordinates the activities and operations of the Code Enforcement Division within the Urban Development Department including general code enforcement; coordinates assigned activities with other divisions, departments, and outside agencies; and provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Director of Urban Development.
- Assumes management responsibility for the development, implementation and supervision of the code enforcement program and the activities of the Code Enforcement Division including interpretation and enforcement of Federal, State, and Municipal codes, to protect the health, safety, and general welfare of residents and visitors.
- Manages and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
- Plans, directs, coordinates, and reviews the work plan for assigned staff involved in investigating code violations and initiating procedures to abate violations; assigns work activities, projects, and programs; reviews and evaluates work products, methods, and procedures; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Participates in field activities and investigations; reviews reports prepared by Code Enforcement Officers; issues citations and prepares cases for prosecution; prepares materials for Council hearings; testifies in Environmental Court regarding compliance action.
- Serves as the liaison for the Code Enforcement Division to other divisions, departments, and outside agencies; attends various meetings to work with and educate citizens; responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive inquiries and complaints; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Legal procedures involved in the enforcement of land use and environmental regulations.
- Court documents and procedures including procedures for citation issuance and obtaining various types of inspection warrants.
- Interpret tax/parcel maps, conduct property owner title searches, and run Delta Systems.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office, or similar computer software applications, smart phones, digital maps, digital time keeping program.
- Pursue and maintain all available code enforcement, inspection and environmental certifications.
- Represent the City in a professional manner in dealing with staff, citizens, news media, and other agencies and groups.
- Demonstrate an awareness and appreciation of the cultural diversity of the community.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent driving record and a valid driver’s license.
Preferred Education and Experience Guidelines:
Education/Training: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, public administration, geography, architecture, construction technology, law enforcement or a related field. Experience: Three years of increasingly responsible code enforcement, investigative, and/or inspection experience including two years of administrative and supervisory responsibility.
POSTING DATE: September 18, 2017
Position will be posted at a minimum until 09/25/2017 at 4:30 pm.