City of Hattiesburg-Public Works
This is professional and administrative work directing all aspects of the Public Works Department. With total control over all activities, this person will manage, direct, supervise, and coordinate the operations of collection of refuse, recycling, maintenance of city streets, ditches, city vehicle/equipment maintenance shop, traffic signals, and building maintenance. Responsible for planning and evaluating policies and procedures; ensures the department and its operation comply with all local, state and federal requirements. Plans, directs, and evaluates capital improvements and maintenance plans; administers contracts for the design and implementation of improvements related to the Public Works Department; responsible for monitoring, recording, documenting and reporting information as required; responsible for implementing departmental budgets and fee schedules for public works services.
This position is accountable for all monetary, fiscal, budgetary, safety, and legal issues related to the Department of Public Works.
Major Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Possesses considerable knowledge of the principles and operation of public works concepts and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of the local, state, and federal laws regarding the operation of public works departments.
- Knowledge of general function and operations of municipal government.
- Ability to communicate effectively, either orally or in writing, to make major decisions and presentations to other groups or assemblies.
- Ability to instruct subordinates in the proper office and field work methods and to review their work.
- Possesses education and experience related to the areas of public works operations
- Performs other related duties as they may arise in the scope of the public works area.
The Director of Public Works is a full-time position. The person in this position is supervised less than weekly and supervises approximately 200 full-time employees. The person works regular hours year round with afterhours required frequently. The person in this position is always on call. 60% of this position is completed outdoors. The position has accountability for the monetary, fiscal, budgetary, safety, and legal issues related to the work for which this position is responsible.
Applicants must complete a City of Hattiesburg Job Application; provide resume, any applicable certifications, degrees, and other related documentation. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The person in this position should have a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field and a minimum of 5 years directly related experience or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Five years of previous managerial experience is recommended to perform the duties of this position. The stress level of this position is very high. This position must be bonded.
Posting Date: 01/18/2017, position will be posted at a minimum until 01/25/2018, 4:30 pm