Main Office, City Hall
200 Forrest Street
1st and 2nd Floor
Many business services needed throughout the City of Hattiesburg can be found within the Department of Urban Development.
The department continues to provide services and information regarding planning, zoning, land development, permits, building inspections, code enforcement, neighborhood development and the Action Center. The department demonstrates the legal, administrative and implementation process related to the built environment within the city – residential and commercial.
COMMERCIAL BUILDING PERMITS
This section applies to all commercial, industrial and multi-family permit requirements. See Residential Services for one and two-family dwellings. Before obtaining a Commercial Building Permit, a Pre-Application Meeting and Site Plan Review is required with the Planning Department. All forms can be located in the sidebar menu.
Generally, a permit is required to construct a new building or to repair or alter any existing building. Certain routine repairs may not require a permit. Please call 601-554-1003 for more information.
- Building: 2012 International Building Code
- Residential: 2012 International Residential Code
- Electrical: 2011 National Electrical Code
- Mechanical: 2012 International Mechanical Code
- Plumbing: 2012 International Plumbing Code
- Fuel/Gas: 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
PERMIT APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
Permit applications for minor routine repairs may be made online. All other applications should be made in person at the Land Development Division. Call 601-554-1003 for more information..
Most permit applications require plans and construction documents to support the permit application. Plans should be prepared by a registered architect or design professional and must be drawn to scale, utilizing architectural graphic standards. The designer’s name, address and phone number must be on each sheet of the plans. If the total building area is 5,000 square feet or greater, regardless of the size of the project, plans must be prepared by an architect registered with the state of Mississippi or a qualified design professional.
Required building plans may include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Floor Plan: Should include proposed construction as well as existing in order to verify means of egress and other code requirements.
- Exterior Elevations
- Foundation Plan and Details
- Wall Sections and other Construction Details
- Electrical Plan
- HVAC Plan
- Plumbing Plan
In addition to building plans review, most commercial projects require approval by the Site Plan Review Committee. Refer to Development Information or call the Planning Division at 601-545-4599.
CONTRACTOR LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
Most commercial projects require licensed contractors and sub-contractors. Refer to Contractor Licensing for specific requirements.
Permitted work must be inspected at all stages prior to cover-up. Please allow at least 24 hours advance notice when requesting inspections. Typical inspections for a new building include the following:
- Building: footing, foundation, framing and final.
- Electrical: temp. pole, rough in, building service, final.
- Mechanical: rough-in, above ceiling, final
- Plumbing: under-slab, stack-out, sewer tap/water connection, final
Other inspections may be required for certain projects. Remodel projects may not require all the above. The general rule of thumb is that any work performed must be inspected before it is covered.
Please call 601-554-1003 to schedule inspections.
Permit fees are based on the total cost of the project. Refer to the Permit Fee Ordinance or call 601-554-1003. Building permit fees do not include fees for plans review and public hearing application fees.
Contractors and subcontractors doing business in the City of Hattiesburg must be licensed by the City and by the Mississippi State Board of Contractors.
In some cases, licensed subcontractors transferring from another Mississippi municipality or county may qualify without the state license requirement. The following must accompany the license application:
- Copy of Mississippi State Certificate of Responsibility for each contractor classification applicable.
- Certificate of liability insurance naming the City of Hattiesburg as a certificate holder. The amount of insurance required will vary depending on the contractor license classification.
- Hattiesburg privilege tax license application or privilege license from another Mississippi city or county.
- Legible color copy of valid drivers license with photo ID.
- Certificate of Workers Compensation insurance.
- Details of all projects completed in the last 12 months.
- A signed affidavit from a licensed contractor testifying to five years proven experience in the applicable trade.
Applications are reviewed for approval by the Contractor Review Board on the third Wednesday of each month.
To review the regulations related to contractor licensing, click on Contractor Review Board Ordinance.